Wood Protective Treatment
Wood Protective Treatment
Barrettine’s Wood Protector is a wood sealer for rough, sawn or smooth timber. It contains water repellent resins and a biocide film wood preserver to prevent the surface growth of mould/algae and together this helps reduce decay, swelling, twisting of wood. Pigments have good UV fade resistance and will help protect wood from UV damage.
Barrettine’s Wood Protector is an ideal treatment for outdoor Treated timber structures such as Sheds, Fences, Trellis, Pergola and timber Gazeboes. As a wood sealer it provides excellent water repellency/beading. Oil / Spirit based for deeper penetration leaving a transparent/translucent finish colour effect to wood, where the grain texture is still visible. Available in a range of colours and clear, see colour swatch below. (Not ideal for decking or garden furniture structures as rub resistance may not be sufficient).
- UV Fade Resistant Colour Wood Stains / Pigments
- Deep Penetrating Oil/Spirit Low Odour Formula
- Harmless To Beneficial Insects & Plants When Dry
The colour swatches are an indication only and representative of the product applied to clean new/pale timber. The final colour finish can vary considerably due to the age, type & condition of the timber being treated and will darken with multiple coats. Viewing colours on multiple digital screens can vary considerably and may not be totally accurate. We always recommend carrying out a small inconspicuous test area first. It is the Customer/end users responsibility to satisfy themselves that the colour finish is correct before full application. An example of the variation in colour of 'Light Brown' can be seen below on clean new/pale timber (Right) and rough sawn timber (Left). As a general rule, the more rough sawn the wood surface is, the more product and pigment it will absorb. The final colour can vary considerably from expectation.
5* Star REVIEW RATING:
Regular 5* star ratings as witnessed across a number of online independent distributor websites such as Toolstation, Wood Finishes Direct, Rest Express and Palatine Paints where this product can be purchased.
Know the difference between Barrettine Wood Preserver, Wood Protective Treatment and Universal Preserver, see FAQ's at the bottom of this page.
Can be sprayed with a traditional pump action Garden style sprayer with viton seals. Protective treatment can also be sprayed using an airless sprayer (Wagner or Graco type) ideally using a minimum 1mm flat fan tip nozzle (9 – 11 thou tip). The sprayer must be thoroughly cleaned after application with white spirit and then oiled to protect the tip and moving parts (as per manufacturer’s instructions)
1 Litre, 2.5 Litre, 5 Litre, 25 Litre & 205 Litre
Click through to our distribution partners to purchase: CLICK HERE
- For use on most external pretreated timbers; (refer to tin/container).
- Contains film biocide preserver to aid in the prevention of surface growth of mould /algae.
- Suitable for rough, sawn or smooth timber, but not suitable for garden furniture unless oversealed.
- Harmless to beneficial insects, plants and pets when dry.
- Oil/Spirit-based for deeper penetration.
- Low odour ready to use formulation.
- Superb quality water repellent resins.
- UV fade-resistant colour pigments.
- High level, long-lasting protection.
- For unpreserved/untreated timber we recommend using Barrettine Universal Preserver first as a primer.
Can be sprayed with a traditional pump action Garden style sprayer with viton seals. Protective treatment can also be sprayed using an airless sprayer (Wagner or Graco type) ideally using a minimum 1mm flat fan tip nozzle (9 – 11 thou tip). The sprayer must be thoroughly cleaned after application with white spirit and then oiled to protect the tip and moving parts (as per the manufacturer’s instructions)
- Ensure wood to be treated is dry, free from dirt and repellent coatings such as paint or varnish. (remove and sand down as required).
- Recommend using a biocidal wash such as Barrettine Knockout Mould and Mildew prior to treatment.
- The final colour finish can vary considerably due to the age, type & condition of the timber being treated. We always recommend carrying out a test area first in an inconspicuous area to make sure you are happy with the final dried colour.
- Apply by brush, dip, roller or solvent compatible low-pressure sprayer only (not high-pressure & ensure weather conditions are dry and still).
- Coverage: 1 litre to 6 sq metres.
- Drying times: 24-48 hours under normal conditions.
- Best results – recommend 2-3 applications/coats.
- Clean equipment with Barrettine White Spirit.
- Always read the label before use.
What is the difference between Barrettine Wood Preserver, Wood Protective Treatment and Universal Preserver?
Barrettine Wood Preserver
- Our premium product, providing complete protection.
- No topcoat required.
- Contains biocides that protect against wet rot, decay and wood-boring insects.
- Contains a high level of resins, which repel water and physically protect the wood
- Available in clear and a range of colours.
- Complete treatment, ideal to protect bare untreated wood
- Suitable to treat wood that has been exposed for a long period, requiring further protection.
- Please refer to the product label for the full guidance and usage conditions
Barrettine Wood Protective Treatment
- Provides non-biocidal protection, nourishing the wood and repelling water ingress that can cause decay. Less protection is given than Barrettine Wood Preserver
- Ideal for use on pre-treated timber
- Contains a surface biocide to protect against the growth of surface mould
- Contains quality resins, which repel water and physically protect the wood
- Available in clear and a range of colours
- Suggested for use on pre-preserved wood, e.g. pressure treated/tanalised timber
- Please refer to the product label for full guidance and usage conditions.
Barrettine Universal Preserver
- Primer, requiring over-coating if weathering expected
- Can be used on structural timbers such as roof/floor joists without a topcoat
- Contains biocides that protect against wet rot, decay and wood boring insects
- Resins & binders present are intended to retain the biocides rather than repel water
- Available in clear only
- For use on bare wood which will be over-coated, for example with Barrettine Log Cabin Treatment or an opaque paint, or physically protected from the elements.
- Compatible with many products both water- and solvent-based. Compatibility with any additional coating should always be confirmed by a test patch.
It should be noted that the above products are preventative treatments and these products are unlikely to kill/control mould spores already present within the wood. If this is suspected, Barrettine Mould and Mildew Cleaner should be used, prior to coating the wood. The bottom of wooden structures e.g. sheds will also require more frequent treatment with Mould and Mildew Cleaner, as the action of rain splashing on the ground will distribute mould spores onto the wood. Frequent treatment with Mould and Mildew Cleaner can prolong the life of the wood coating. Also, repeat and periodic re-treatments using the above wood care products will enhance and protect the appearance, and prolong the life of the wood.
Additionally, whilst Barrettine Wood Preserver and Universal Preserver are protective against wood-boring insects, they will not kill existing infestations. For this, Barrettine Woodworm Killer would be required.