Universal Wood Preservative
- Universal Preserver 5L
- Universal Preserver 5L
- Universal Preserver 1L
Swipe to view other images
Universal Wood Preservative
A ‘colourless’ high-quality, low odour oil/Spirit wood preservative which is deep penetrating. This wax free primer Wood Preservative is used for wood protection against wood destroying fungi (wet rot), wood discolouring fungi and wood boring insects.
Barrettine Clear Wood Preserver provides a colourless finish for further painting, varnishing. Can be used on un-treated wood or treated timber outdoors and also for use on windows/frames, external doors/frames (internal & external sections). Can also be used on structural timbers on indoor unoccupied areas such as floor joists.
- Deep penetrating oil/spirit low odour based formula
- High level, long-lasting wood protection & wood preservation
- Quality primer resins for excellent adhesion
Know the difference between Barrettine Wood Preserver, Wood Protective Treatment and Universal Preserver, see FAQ's at the bottom of this page.
1 L, 5 L, 25 L & 205 L
- Contains Tebuconazole, Permethrin & IPBC.
- Protects uncontaminated timber against wet rot, decay and wood boring insect attack.
- Suitable for use on all types of timber, rough, sawn or smooth. For use internally and externally (out of ground). Refer to internal and external de nitions of use on the tin.
- Treated timbers can be polished, stained, varnished or painted when dry.
- Approved under COPR/BPR. • Harmless to plants and pets when dry.
- Low odour ready to use formulation.
- Wax free primer for over coating.
- Ensure wood to be treated is dry, free from dirt and repellent coatings such as paint or varnish (remove and sand down as required).
- Recommend using a biocidal wash such as Barrettine Knockout Mould and Mildew prior to treatment.
- Brush, dip, roller or spray in suitable conditions. (When used outdoors make sure weather conditions are dry and still).
- Coverage: 160 ml/m2 or 1 litre to 6.25 sq metres.
- Drying times: 12 h under normal conditions (20°C/65% rel. humidity). Allow a minimum of 24 hours drying time under normal conditions before application of a top coat.
- Best results – recommend 2-3 applications/coats.
- Clean equipment with Barrettine White Spirit.
- Always read the label. Use biocides safely.
- We recommend applying a water repellent finish after application.
What is the difference between Barrettine Wood Preserver, Wood Protective Treatment and Universal Preserver?
Barrettine Wood Preserver
- Our premium product, providing complete protection.
- No top coat required.
- Contains biocides which protect against wet rot, decay and wood boring insects.
- Contains a high level of resins, which repel water and physically protect the wood
- Available in clear and a range of colours.
- Complete treatment, ideal to protect bare untreated wood
- Suitable to treat wood that has been exposed for a long period, requiring further protection.
- Please refer to the product label for the full guidance and usage conditions
Barrettine Wood Protective Treatment
- Provides non-biocidal protection, nourishing the wood and repelling water ingress that can cause decay. Less protection given than Barrettine Wood Preserver
- Ideal for use on pre-treated timber
- Contains a surface biocide to protect against the growth of surface mould
- Contains quality resins, which repel water and physically protect the wood
- Available in clear and a range of colours
- Suggested for use on pre-preserved wood, e.g. pressure treated/tanalised timber
- Please refer to the product label for the full guidance and usage conditions.
Barrettine Universal Preserver
- Primer, requiring over-coating if weathering expected
- Can be used on structural timbers such as roof/floor joists without a top coat
- Contains biocides which protect against wet rot, decay and wood boring insects
- Resins & binders present are intended to retain the biocides rather than repel water
- Available in clear only
- For use on bare wood which will be over-coated, for example with Barrettine Log Cabin Treatment or an opaque paint, or physically protected from the elements.
- Compatible with many products both water- and solvent-based. Compatibility with any additional coating should always be confirmed by a test patch.
It should be noted that the above products are preventative treatments and these products are unlikely to kill/control mould spores already present within the wood. If this is suspected, Barrettine Mould and Mildew Cleaner should be used, prior to coating the wood. The bottom of wooden structures e.g. sheds will also require more frequent treatment with Mould and Mildew Cleaner, as the action of rain splashing on the ground will distribute mould spores onto the wood. Frequent treatment with Mould and Mildew Cleaner can prolong the life of the wood coating. Also, repeat and periodic re-treatments using the above wood care products will enhance and protect the appearance, and prolong the life of the wood.
Additionally, whilst Barrettine Wood Preserver and Universal Preserver are protective against wood boring insects, they will not kill existing infestations. For this, Barrettine Woodworm Killer would be required.